Important update about TAFE SA
MAS would like to inform all of our employers, apprentices and trainees that there has been a further update from Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) regarding training delivered by TAFE SA.
ASQA’s audit of TAFE SA
ASQA completes regular audits of training providers to ensure they are delivering quality training and assessment. To be approved to deliver a qualification, they must meet certain standards in these audits.
Last year, the audit of TAFE SA found some issues with the delivery of 16 qualifications ranging from automotive to hairdressing and plumbing (full list below).
As a result of this, ASQA proposed to suspend 16 qualifications. Then, on the 4th of December 2017, they formally advised TAFE SA of a decision to suspend 10 of those qualifications.
The next steps
TAFE SA is now undergoing an internal review and putting processes in place to remedy the concerns. This review will focus on increasing service quality to ensure they meet compliance requirements. They need to complete this by the due date, then ASQA uses information provided to reconsider the decision of suspensions.
ASQA has also advised TAFE SA that they intend to undertake another compliance audit in early 2018.
Update details: Extension to due date
TAFE SA had until 23rd January 2018 to submit this review. However, they requested additional time and have now received an extension to lodge a reconsideration.
They now have until the 2nd of March 2018 to lodge this reconsideration. ASQA have advised they will not make a decision with regards to the future training of these courses until the reconsideration review process is complete.
Are you one of the affected students?
You may be affected if you are studying, or recently graduated from one of the following qualifications:
- AUR32416 Certificate III in Automotive Refinishing Technology,
- AUR30816 Certificate III in Motorcycle Mechanical Technology,
- AMP20316 Certificate II in Meat Processing (Abattoirs),
- SIT30816 Certificate III in Commercial Cookery,
- CHC33015 Certificate III in Individualised Support,
- CHC43415 Certificate IV in Leisure and Health,
- SHB30416 Certificate III in Hairdressing,
- SIR50212 Diploma of Visual Merchandising,
- CPC50210 Diploma of Building and Construction (Building); and
- CPC32413 Certificate III in Plumbing.
Recently graduated an affected course:
Don’t stress, your work is still valid! ASQA have said they will not cancel any qualifications that have been issued where the assessments did not meet the standard.
TAFE SA and ASQA are investigating if you will need to complete any re-assessment. They will be in contact if you need to do anything.
Currently studying an affected course:
If you’re a student currently studying one of these qualifications, TAFE SA have advised:
- You can continue studying as normal,
- Don’t forget to check your student email account as they will communicate with you through this, and
- Some students will need to undertake remedial action. This will be built into your ongoing studies, and there will be no additional cost to those students.
Where to go for support
TAFE SA has published an update to their website encouraging students who require additional support or who wish to talk with someone regarding their individual circumstances to email Student Services at StudentServices@tafesa.edu.au to book an appointment. You can also call them on 1800 882 661.
Employers, apprentices or trainees affected by the changes can also contact our MAS Experience Team for support on 1800 627 628.
The information above is taken from the following updates: